The top-ranked Hobart College hockey team erupted for a season-high 12 goals as it cruised to a 12-0 win over Vermont State University Castleton in a New England Hockey Conference contest at Spartan Arena this afternoon. With their ninth straight win, the Statesmen are now 13-2-0 on the season with a 7-1-0 record in conference play.
Seniors Austin Mourar and Jonah Alexander led the way for Hobart, recording four points each. Mourar had two goals and two assists and Alexander had four assists. Sophomores Kahlil Fontana and Ignat Belov had hat tricks in the victory. In total, 13 Statesmen had multi-point games and 14 found their way onto the scoresheet. Sophomore Mavrick Goyer played just over 59 minutes in goal for the Statesmen. He made 11 saves as he earned his fourth shutout of the season.
Josh Ward got the start in goal for Castleton (5-10-0, 2-6-0). He made 27 saves in just under 50 minutes of work. Dominic Rodrigue played the final 10 minutes and made four saves.
- For the 15th straight game to start the season, Hobart did not allow a power play goal. Opponents are now 0-for 43 on the power play against the Statesmen this season.
- Goyer notched his second consecutive shutout. He made 26 saves in an 8-0 win over Johnson and Wales on Dec. 2.
- Sophomore Tanner Hartman posted his third straight multi-point game, recording two assists tonight. It was his sixth multi-point game in his last six games. Hartman has recorded 20 of his 26 points during that stretch.
- Hobart finished the game with a 43-11 advantage in shots on goal, including a 14-1 mark in the first period.
- The Statesmen were 3-for-4 on the power-play and the Spartans were 0-for-3 with the extra attacker.
- Goyer’s fourth shutout of the season moved him into second place on Hobart’s single-season list. It was the Statesmen’s eighth shutout of the year. The single-season record was nine set last year.
- It was the most goals in a game for Hobart since they defeated Castleton 12-2 on Feb. 4, 2022.
- Hobart jumped all over Castleton from the opening whistle, outshooting the Spartans 14-1 in the first 20 minutes.
- Fontana opened the scoring at the 12:12 mark of the opening frame. He wristed a shot from the left faceoff circle past Ward for his fourth goal of the year. Tristan Fasig recorded an assist on the goal.
- Five minutes later, Mourar blasted a slapshot from the top of the faceoff circle into the back of the net. His third goal of the season was assisted by Alexander and Hartman.
- Hobart put the game out of reach with five goals in the second and third periods.
- Sixty-eight seconds into the middle frame, Mourar notched his second goal of the game. He picked up a rebound in the slot and flipped a shot past Ward. Mourar’s fourth goal of the season was assisted by Alexander and sophomore Luke Aquaro.
- Belov notched his first goal of the game Just over seven minutes into the second period. His seventh goal of the season gave the Statesmen a four-goal lead. It was assisted by Hartman and senior Gagik Malakyan.
- Christian Duvall pocketed his first goal of the season just past the midway point of the game. His goal was assisted by Alexander and Malakyan. Duvall wristed a shot from the high slot past Ward off a tape-to-tape pass from Alexander.
- Fontana recorded his second goal of the game and fifth of the season at the 17:03 mark of the second period. The power-play goal was assisted by Fasig and Mourar.
- Thirty-five seconds later, first-year Brandon Sacchetti scored his fifth goal of the year. He redirected a shot from fellow first-year Conor Lally into the back of the net. First-year Chris Duclair also had an assist on the goal.
- Belov made it 8-0 with his second goal of the game. He snapped a shot from the left faceoff circle past Ward for his eighth goal of the year. Mourar and senior Artem Buzoverya were credited with assists on the goal.
- Just over a minute later, Aquaro added his ninth goal of the year. He deked around a defender and wristed a shot past the goalie. Alexander and Duvall had assists on the goal.
- At the 9:56 mark of the third period, Lally notched his first collegiate goal. He one-timed a shot from the left faceoff circle into the back of the net. Bauer Morrissey and Sacchetti had helpers on the goal.
- Fontana completed his first collegiate hat trick with just over five minutes remaining in regulation. He snapped a shot from the slot past Rodrigue. The power-play goal was assisted by Fasig and Morrissey.
- Belov completed his hat trick to round out the scoring. His ninth goal of the year was assisted by Bouzoverya.
Hobart will be back in action next Friday, Jan. 12, when it heads to Henniker, New Hampshire, to take on New England College. Faceoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.