The William Smith College basketball team fell 73-43 in the opening game of the 2023 Worcester Polytechnic Institute Holiday Classic to host WPI. The Herons fall to 1-8 on the season while the Engineers move to 6-4.
Senior Brooke Jarvis led William Smith with 10 points and five rebounds while first-year Miranda Martin posted a career-high nine points and a career-high seven rebounds. WPI’s Ally McMorrow led the contest with 22 points and five rebounds.
- Rebounds: WPI 42, William Smith 33
- Assists: WPI 23, William Smith 5
- Turnovers: William Smith 17, WPI 14
- Steals: WPI 9, William Smith 5
- Blocked Shots: William Smith 2, WPI 2
HERON STAT LEADERS
- Scoring: Brooke Jarvis 10, Miranda Martin 9, Leia Brunt 7
- Rebounding: Miranda Martin 7, Brooke Jarvis 5, Mara Bledsoe 4, Amelia McCulley 4
- Assists: Carly Scott 2, Molly Walsh 1, Leia Brunt 1, Giana Lobozzo 1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Engineers opened up the contest with a 6-0 run before Jarvis scored a layup to open the scoring for the Herons.
- Junior Molly Walsh sunk a deep three pointer to cut into the Herons deficit before Martin scored back-to-back layups to bring William Smith within three.
- WPI responded with an 8-0 run to extend its lead heading into the second quarter.
- The Herons opened the second quarter with strong defensive efforts forcing several turnovers by the Engineers.
- WPI hit back-to-back three pointers to spark a 13-0 run for the Engineers to extend their lead to 22.
- First-year Giana Lobozzo entered the game adding a spark defensively and snapped the Engineers scoring run as she hit a deep two pointer to get the Herons back on the board.
- WPI continued its sharp shooting to end the half after Emmy Allyn hit a deep three pointer to extend the Engineers lead.
- William Smith responded with its most productive quarter to start the second half, outscoring WPI 17-16.
- Sophomore’s Leia Brunt and Mara Bledsoe scored back-to-back layups to open the half before Jarvis went on a six-point run to cut into the Herons deficit.
- Lobozzo and fellow first-year Jazzmyn Lewis led the defensive efforts in the third, forcing three steals to keep the Engineers from extending their lead.
- First-year Grace O’Connor converted two free throws followed by a deep three pointer by Martin to bring William Smith within 30 heading into the final quarter.
- Martin continued her sharp shooting in the fourth, hitting a deep jump shot to open the quarter.
- Brunt would conclude the scoring for the Herons as she converted a three-point play after being fouled on a driving layup bringing William Smith within 20.
- WPI went on a 10-0 run in the final eight minutes of the contest to finish on top 73-43.
William Smith will be back in action tomorrow, Dec. 30, when it concludes the WPI Holiday Classic against Franklin and Marshall College. Action between the Herons and the Diplomats is set for 1 p.m. in Harrington Auditorium.