William Smith College sophomore Kelly Howe recorded her first career hat trick as the Herons knocked off Buffalo State University 4-1 in a non-conference contest at The Cooler this evening. With their eighth straight win, William Smith concludes the 2023 portion of its schedule with a 10-3-0 overall record.
Howe’s hat trick was backed up first-year Seneca Urban’s two assists. Junior Erin Murray played all 60 minutes in goal. She made 20 saves, including 12 in the first period.
Emma Ramseier scored for the Bengals (1-10-1). Jessica Auge played all 60 minutes in net and made 39 saves.
- William Smith finished the game with a 43-21 advantage in shots on goal. After being out shot 12-8 in the opening frame, The Herons limited Buffalo State to just nine shots in the final 40 minutes.
- Both teams were 0-for-2 on the power play.
- This is the second straight home game in which a Heron has recorded a hat trick. On Nov. 14, Grace Romeo scored three goals against Hilbert.
- Howe opened the scoring at the 5:10 mark of the first period. She redirected a pass from Urban past Auge for her fifth goal of the season. Sophomore Fiona Gallagher picked up a helper on the tally.
- William Smith extended its lead to two goals on Colleen Quirk’s third goal of the season. Standing on the right goalpost, she poked a loose puck across the goal line. Senior Sydney Foster and junior Annabel Ziskin were credited with assists on the goal.
- Howe notched her second goal of the season at the 15:44 mark of the second period. She broke up a clearing attempt in the offensive end, skated into the slot and wristed a shot past Auge. Her seventh goal of the year was an unassisted tally.
- Howe completed the hat trick just over three minutes into the third period. She collected a centering pass from Urban and one-timed a shot past the goalie. First-year Laine Heiser notched the secondary assist on the goal.
- Buffalo State broke up the shutout bid just past the midway point of the final frame. Emma Ramseier slapped a shot from the high slot past Murray. Her second goal of the season was assisted by Rylee Garrow.
With today’s win, the Herons have wrapped up the non-conference portion of its schedule. The Herons will be back in action Jan. 5, 2024, when it takes on Plymouth State. Faceoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. at The Cooler.