The William Smith College ice hockey team defeated UMass Boston 2-1 in a New England Hockey Conference contest at the Edward T. Barry Ice Rink this afternoon. The victory was Herons’ 100th as a varsity program.
Colleen Quirk and Emma Faso scored for William Smith (8-3-0, 4-1-0). Annie Hauser went the distance in goal, making 25 saves.
Leah Bosch stopped 13 shots in just over 58 minutes of work in goal for the Beacons (3-5-3, 2-3-2).
FOR THE RECORD
- Now in their ninth season, the Herons are now 100-102-17 as a varsity program.
- Today’s victory came at the same rink where the Herons played their first varsity game back in 2014.
- William Smith is now 5-6-1 against UMass Boston.
- The Herons have won six straight games.
- William Smith opened the scoring at the 17:47 mark of the second period. Colleen Quirk fired home a shot from the slot for her second goal of the season. Allie Cimis and Sydney Foster were awarded assists on the goal.
- Just over a minute later, Emma Faso picked up her own rebound and slipped a shot past Bosch for her second goal of the season. Lauren Jackson and Mackenzie O’Neil had assists on the goal.
- Jenna Majewski broke up the shutout bid with less than five minutes remaining in regulation. She snapped a shot from the slot past Hauser. Ana Gustafson and Hannah MacDougall had assists on the goal.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- UMass Boston finished the game with a 29-15 advantage in shots on goal.
- Neither team scored a power-play goal. The Herons were 0-for-2 with the extra skater and the Beacons were 0-for-4 on the power play.
The Herons will be back in action tomorrow, Dec. 2, when they take on Johnson & Wales. Faceoff is scheduled for 3 p.m.