The William Smith College ice hockey team scored six goals in the second period as it soared past Albertus Magnus College 9-0 in a non-conference contest at Ralph Walker Ice Arena this afternoon. With the weekend sweep, The Herons are now 6-3-0 on the season.
Kayla Ketchabaw led William Smith with two goals. Sarah Hearns and Mackenzie O’Neil chipped in a goal and an assist each for the Herons. Annabel Ziskin added a pair of assists. Annie Hauser went the distance in goal and made eight saves as she earned the shutouts.
Zoey Soost and Sarah Hoffman split time in goal for the Falcons (0-7-1). They combined to make 37 saves.
- William Smith finished the game with a 46-8 edge in shots on goal.
- The Herons were 2-for-4 on the power play and the Falcons were 0-for-2 with the extra skater.
- This weekend’s games were the first two meetings between William Smith and first-year program Albertus Magnus.
- The series will continue next year when the Falcons join the New England Hockey Conference.
- William Smith opened the scoring at the 8:38 mark of the first period when Hearns collected her first collegiate goal. It was Hearn’s first collegiate goal. O’Neil and Allie Cimis had assists on the goal.
- Five minutes later, Grace Romeo scored an unassisted goal to give William Smith a two-goal lead. It was her sixth goal of the season and extended her scoring streak to four games.
- O’Neil gave the Herons a three-goal lead 90 seconds into the second period. She ripped a shot from the slot into the back of the net. It was her sixth goal of the season.
- Lauren Legler made it 4-0 with her fourth goal of the season. Hearns notched an assist on the tally.
- Ketchabaw scored the game’s next two goals notching her seventh and eighth goals of the year. The first goal was a power-play tally assisted by Ziskin; The second goal was assisted by Colleen Quirk.
- Ava Cornforth and Laine Heiser rounded out the second period with goals 90 seconds apart. Cornforth’s goal was a power-play goal. Heiser’s first collegiate goal was assisted by Brianna Felice.
- Kelly Howe added an insurance goal in the third period. Her fifth goal of the season was assisted by Ziskin. It was her fourth straight game with a goal.
William Smith will be back in action on Tuesday, Nov. 21, when it travels to Buffalo, New York. The Herons will take on Buffalo State at 7 p.m.