The top-ranked Hobart College hockey team was edged by Babson College 3-1 in a New England Hockey Conference contest at the Babson Skating Rink this evening. The Statesmen are now 4-2-0 overall on the year with a 3-1-0 mark in NEHC play.
Luke Aquaro scored for Hobart. Mavrick Goyer played just over 58 minutes in goal and made 10 saves.
Matt Cormier scored twice in the victory for the Beavers (2-3-1, 2-0-1). Nate Mueller went the distance in goal, making 46 saves.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Hobart finished the game with a 47-13 advantage in shots on goal.
- The Statesmen were 1-for-3 on the power play and Babson was 0-for-2 on the man advantage.
- Cormier opened the scoring at the 5:19 mark of the first period. He wristed a shot from the right faceoff circle past. Goyer. Cam Joslin was awarded an assist on the tally after forcing a turnover in the offensive end. It snapped a 245-minute shutout streak for the Statesmen.
- Joseph Kramer gave Babson a 2-0 lead just over five minutes into the second period. He redirected a Charlie Andriole point shot past the Hobart goalie. Ryan Murphy had the secondary assist on the goal.
- Comier struck again with just under three minutes left in the second period. He flipped a loose puck across the goal line. Joslin had an assist on the goal.
- Luke Aquaro broke up the shutout bid with a power play goal late in the second period. He picked up a rebound on the left post and slipped it past Mueller. Jared Patterson and Shane Shell were awarded assists on the goal.
- Late in the first period Cooper Swift fired a shot off the goal post.
- In the third period, Hobart outshot Babson 18-1 but could not sneak another shot past Mueller.
Hobart will be back in action Friday, Nov. 17 when it begins a five-game homestand against Buffalo State. Faceoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.