The Hobart College soccer team was edged by Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute 1-0 in a Liberty League contest at East Campus Athletic Village Stadium this afternoon. With their first loss in conference play, the Statesmen are now 5-5-2 overall on the season with a 4-1-1 mark in league play.
Guillermo Castañeda Chang played all 90 minutes in goal for Hobart and made two saves.
Gabe Terando scored for the Engineers (5-5-2, 2-3-0). Colin Such played all 90 minutes in goal as he earned the shutout.
- Terando scored the game’s lone goal in the 55th minute. He fired a shot from 10 yards out past Castaneda Chang for his third goal of the season. Kyle Osborne was awarded an assist on the goal.
- In the 4th minute, Josh Gaudiano had a shot smothered by Castaneda Chang.
- James Durkin had Hobart’s first chance in the 12th minute. His shot was blocked by an RPI defender.
- First-year La Zai Outerbridge nearly gave the Statesmen a 1-0 lead in the 33rd minute but his attempt was turned aside by a diving Colin Such.
- In the 40th minute, Brian Sheehan fired a shot just over the crossbar.
- Thirty seconds after RPI’s goal, Chris Friedlander had a chance to tie the game, but his shot was stopped by Such.
- Frederick Madsen then had a shot blocked by a defender.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Hobart dominated the stat sheet, finishing the game with a 14-7 advantage in shots.
- The Statesmen also had a 14-2 edge in corner kicks.
- Hobart had five of its shots blocked by RPI defenders.
Hobart will be back in action tomorrow, Oct. 14, when it heads to Schenectady, New York, to take on Union College. The Liberty League game against the Garnet Chargers is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m.