The top-ranked William Smith College soccer team and Skidmore College battled to a 1-1 draw. The Herons are now 4-0-3 to start the season and are 0-0-2 in Liberty League play.
Seneca Blakely-Armitage scored for the Herons. Kirsten Nelson played all 90 minutes in goal for William Smith.
Izzy Sullivan scored for the Thoroughbreds (4-1-3, 0-1-1). Claire Wolgast went the distance in goal, making nine saves.
- William Smith finished the contest with an 18-4 advantage in shots.
- The Herons also held a 7-1 edge in corner kicks.
- It was the second straight 1-1 tie between William Smith and Skidmore.
- Blakely-Armitage opened the scoring in the 32nd minute. She chipped a shot from the top of the 18-yard box into the upper right-hand corner of the cage. Her first goal of the season was assisted by Shayna Straney.
- Skidmore tied the game in the 62nd minute. Izzy Sullivan ran onto a through ball from Ellianna Caprusso and slipped a shot past Nelson for her third goal of the season.
- Blakely-Armitage nearly doubled her tally in the 38th minute but her shot was smothered by a diving Wolgast.
- Julie Medina had a chance to give the Herons a 2-0 lead with eight seconds remaining in the half, but her shot was stopped by Wolgast.
- In the 73rd minute, Kyra Russman-Araya nearly scored the game-winning goal for Skidmore, but her shot went over the crossbar. She had time and space to take another step but her shot was influenced by an oncoming defender.
- In the 84th minute, Straney had an opportunity to put William Smith in front, but her shot was blocked by a Thoroughbred defender.
William Smith will be back in action on Wednesday, Sept. 27, when it welcomes Ithaca to Cozzens Field. The game is scheduled to begin at 4 p.m.