The Hobart College soccer team defeated Skidmore College 2-1 in its Liberty League opener on Wachenheim Field this afternoon. With the win, the Statesmen snapped a five-game winless streak and are now 2-4-1 on the season with a 1-0-0 mark in conference play.
Steven Pickering and Chris Friedlander scored for the Statesmen. Guillermo Castañeda Chang played all 90 minutes in goal and made two saves as he earned the victory.
Luca Bravo Frederick stopped seven shots in goal for the Thoroughbreds (1-4-2, 0-1-0).
- Hobart finished the contest with a 17-7 advantage in shots and a 5-2 edge in corner kicks.
- The Statesmen are now 12-9-12 overall against Skidmore.
- Steven Pickering opened the scoring in the 39th minute. He headed home a crossing pass from Lucas Montero for his first goal of the season.
- The Thoroughbreds tied the game in the 49th minute. Leo Kachanovsky ripped a shot from 18 yards out into the upper right corner of the cage. It was his first goal of the season.
- Hobart scored the game-winning goal in the 86th minute. Chris Friedlander collected a bouncing ball in front of the cage and slipped a shot into the back of the net. It was his second goal of the season.
Hobart will be back in action on Wednesday when it heads to Ithaca, New York. The Liberty League contest against the Bombers is scheduled to begin at 4 p.m.