At our facility, we often reinforce the behavior of keeping our minds on our path. This time of year the daily routines shift from summer activities to school activities, and this shift in activities means different traffic and most especially pedestrian patterns. Add to that, kids often with a screen in their gaze, it can be challenging for everyone’s behaviors to be mindful of their path and safety. Our grown-up behaviors are the best example to help our kids be safe, and keep their minds on their paths.
The following are a few safe driving tips especially around school zones and neighborhoods where kids are present.
- Obey the school zone rules.
- Be mindful of school pick up and drop off times.
- Watch for bicycles darting between lanes.
- Never pass vehicles in no passing zones or around school zones as children could be crossing through blind spots.
- Avoid blocking crosswalks creating a blind spot.
- Be ready to stop for school buses preparing to load or unload.
- SLOW DOWN
Kyle Black is the District Manager at Seneca Meadows Landfill located in Seneca Falls, New York.