The William Smith College ice hockey team was tripped up by Williams 2-1 in a non-conference contest at The Cooler on Sunday evening. The Herons are now 6-7-1 on the season while the Ephs are 5-4-0 on the year.
Annie Hauser made 35 saves in just over 59 minutes of work in the William Smith goal. Erin Pye made 28 stops in goal for Williams.
- Williams finished the game with a 37-29 advantage in shots on goal.
- The Herons were 1-for-1 on the power play and the Ephs were 0-for-1 with the extra skater.
- William Smith held a 13-12 edge in shots on goal in the opening frame.
- The Ephs opened the scoring at the 8:34 mark of the first period on Quinn Dawson’s third goal of the season. Her initial shot from the point was blocked by a William Smith defender. She picked up the rebound and blasted a shot past Hauser. Ellia Chiang and Maddie Tix notched assists on the goal.
- Mackenzie O’Neil had a chance to tie the game two minutes later, but ye made the save.
- Lauren Jackson tied the game with a power-play goal late in the frame. She fired a shot through traffic past Pye for her first goal of the season. Brittany Foster and O’Neil were awarded assists on the goal.
- Williams controlled the middle period, finishing with a 16-9 advantage in shots on goal.
- Tix nearly gave Williams a lead, but her shot was stopped by Hauser.
- The Ephs had their lone power play of the game in the middle frame and had three shots on goal during the player advantage.
- Claire Murphy won the game for Williams at the 8:26 mark of the final frame. She collected a pass from Anna DiChristina in her own zone and raced the length of the ice. Murphy wristed a shot from the left faceoff that deflected off of Hauser’s glove and across the goal line.
- Emma Faso had a breakaway chance late in the period that was smothered by Pye.
William Smith has completed the first half of its schedule. The Herons will be back in action on January 6, when they welcome New England College to The Cooler for a New England Hockey Conference contest.