Williams College scored three goals in the first period as it defeated the William Smith College ice hockey team 4-1 in a non-conference contest at The Cooler on Saturday night. With the loss, the Herons fall to 6-6-1 on the season while the Ephs improve to 4-4-0 on the season.
Paige Galle led the way for Williams with three assists. Erin Pye made 21 saves in 60 minutes of action in the Ephs’ goal. Erin Murray made a season-high 36 saves in just over 58 minutes of work in goal for William Smith.
- Williams had a 40-22 advantage in shots on goal.
- The Ephs were 1-for-3 on the power play and did not take a penalty in the game.
- Maddie Tix opened the scoring at the 6:12 mark of the first period. She ripped a shot from the left faceoff circle past Murray for her third goal of the season. Claire Murphy and Galle were awarded assists on the goal.
- Three minutes later, Williams took a 2-0 lead on a Jaelyn Kelver power-play goal. She redirected Galle’s point shot past Murray for her first goal of the season.
- Leah Rubinshteyn gave the Ephs a three-goal lead at the 14:40 mark of the frame. She tipped a shot from Katie Armstrong across the goal line. Galle also logged an assist on Rubinshteyn’s second goal of the year.
- William Smith broke up the shutout bid just before the midway point of the middle frame. Emma Faso won a puck battle along the boards and fired a crossing pass to Kayla Ketchabaw, who one-timed a shot past Pye for her sixth goal of the season.
- Early in the final frame, Emily Cataldo had a breakaway opportunity, but her shot was smothered by Pye.
- Ketchabaw nearly added a second but her shot at the 10:53 mark was smothered by Pye’s glove.
- Williams added an empty net goal with six seconds remaining. Kelly McCarthy fired a shot the length of the ice into the empty cage.
William Smith will wrap up the 2022 portion of its schedule on Sunday. The Herons and Ephs will meet again at 3:30 p.m.