Skip to content
DiSanto Propane (Banner)
Home » Sports » Alexander’s OT tally lifts #1 Hobart past Trinity, 2-1

Alexander’s OT tally lifts #1 Hobart past Trinity, 2-1

Junior forward Jonah Alexander scored 3:17 into the overtime frame to send the top-ranked Hobart College hockey team to a 2-1 victory over Trinity College, which was receiving votes in the poll, in a non-conference contest at The Cooler on Saturday evening. It was the Statesmen’s program record 11th consecutive win to start the year.

Six different players recorded a point in the victory for Hobart (11-0-0). Damon Beaver went the distance in goal for the Statesmen, recording 24 saves as he picked up his sixth win of the season. Devon Bobak stopped 36 shots in the Trinity goal


  • With 1:43 remaining in the overtime period Alexander batted a cross-ice pass from Luke Aquaro out of mid-air into the back of the net for his seventh goal of the season. The play was started in the defensive zone thanks to a perfectly timed outlet pass from Matthieu Wuth.
  • The Statesmen had all three shots on goal during the overtime session.


  • Neither team scored in the opening frame, but Hobart had a 9-6 edge in shots on goal.
  • Just before the nine-minute mark Tanner Hartman had a wrap-around chance stuffed by Bobak.
  • As the buzzer sounded, Matthew Iasenza had a shot stopped by Devon Bobak.


  • At the 7:11 mark of the period, Kevin Lassman appeared to open the scoring, but his shot hit the left goal post and then the crossbar and bounced harmlessly to the end boards.
  • Hobart opened the scoring at the 12:23 mark of the middle frame. Wil Crane snapped a shot from the high slot across the goal line for his second goal of the season. Austin Mourar and Kahlil Fontana were credited with assists on the goal.
  • Late in the period, Jax Muray and Andrew Troy had shots stopped by Damon Beaver.


  • The Bantams tied the game at the 1:32 mark of the final stanza. Eamon Doheny ripped a shot from the left faceoff circle into the upper left corner of the cage. His first goal of the season was assisted by Riley Prattson and Kyle Tomaso.
  • The Trinity goal was the first allowed by Beacer in 256:23 minutes.
  • Luke Aquaro had a chance to win the game late in the frame, but his shot was tipped wide by a defender.


  • Hobart finished the game with a 38-25 edge in shots on goal.
  • Neither team converted on the power play. Trinity was 0-for-1 with the man advantage and Hobart was 0-for-2 with the extra attacker.


“That was a great win vs a very good team,” Head Coach Mark Taylor said. “I was a little worried going into the game because I’m pretty sure the last time they were here they were the ones undefeated and number one in the country and payback can be cruel, but not this time. If you look at the scoresheet, the names that got the winner will be familiar, but what I liked about it was they were struggling to get going all game but they stayed after it and I could tell they wanted it. That’s a good lesson, if you really want something, stay after it. That was a great finish to a grinding game at the end of a tough week of exams. It’s time to enjoy the holidays with family and friends. So with that Happy Holidays to all our supporters.”


Hobart will be back in action December 30-31 when it hosts the Hockey Helpers Shootout. The Statesmen will take on Colby on December 30 and Salve Regina on December 31.