The William Smith College basketball team fell to Vassar on Saturday afternoon, 74-54, in Bristol Gymnasium. The Herons fall to 1-5 overall, and 0-2 in the Liberty League, while the Brewers move to 3-5 overall and 1-1 in the Liberty League.
Junior Brooke Jarvis led the Herons with 16 points and eight rebounds while shooting 88% from the free-throw line. Sophomore Maddie Patrick chipped in seven points and 11 rebounds for the Herons.
- Rebounds: William Smith 40. Vassar 32
- Assists: Vassar 24, William Smith 13
- Turnovers: William Smith 25, Vassar 16
- Steals: Vassar 16, William Smith 7
- Blocked Shots: Vassar 3, William Smith 2
HERON STAT LEADERS
- Scoring: Brooke Jarvis 16, Molly Walsh 9, Kerstin Kelly 7, Maddie Patrick 7
- Rebounding: Maddie Patrick 11, Brooke Jarvis 8, Katie Smythe, Mara Bledsoe 5
- Assists: Molly Walsh 4, Mckenzie Mandyck 4, Katie Smythe 2, Maddie Patrick 2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Brewers went on a seven-point run to start the game, but the Herons would fight back to end the quarter down by three.
- Jarvis posted five points and 2 rebounds to lead the Herons with Katie Smythe hitting a big three-pointer to keep the Herons in the game.
- The Herons and Brewers continued to trade points in the second quarter as Jarvis added six more points to keep the Herons alive.
- Senior Kerstin Kelly posted five points, including a clutch three-pointer in the third to cut the Brewers’ lead to one.
- The Brewers extended their lead to four heading into the half after a successful layup by Eliza Srinivasan with 28 seconds remaining in the half.
- The Brewers came out strong to start the second half, going on a 10-point run.
- Sophomore Maddie Patrick posted seven points and six rebounds in the third quarter to keep the Herons within 10 heading into the final quarter.
- Jarvis and sophomore Molly Walsh combined for eight of the Herons’ 13 points in the final 10 minutes.
- Vassar would find six points from Bella Tawney in the fourth quarter as the Brewers closed out the game on top, 74-54.
William Smith will be back in action Saturday, December 10, when they host SUNY Geneseo in nonconference action. Tip off between the Herons and the Knights is set to start at 2 p.m. in Bristol Gym.