The William Smith College ice hockey team wrapped up its four-game road trip with a 4-0 victory over Plymouth State in a New England Hockey Conference Contest on Saturday afternoon. Four different players scored a goal as the Herons improve to 6-5-1 overall this season with a 4-4-0 mark in NEHC play.
Sydney Foster led the way for William Smith with a goal and an assist in the victory. Erin Murray stopped all 25 shots she faced as she earned her first shutout of the season. Maggie Vance and Amelia Julian combined to make 28 saves in goal for Plymouth St. (2-8-0, 1-5-0).
- William Smith finished the game with a 32-25 edge in shots on goal.
- The Panthers were 0-for-3 on the power play. The Herons did not have a power play attempt.
- William Smith opened the scoring nine minutes into the contest. Emma Faso intercepted a clearing attempt at the blue line and ripped a shot past Julian for her first goal of the year.
- Forty seconds later, Sydney Foster jumped on a rebound and poked the loose puck across the goal line. It was her second goal of the season.
- The Herons finished the frame with an 11-7 edge in shots on goal.
- Brittany Foster gave William Smith a 3-0 lead at the 6:51 mark of the middle stanza. She snapped a shot from the high slot over Julian’s glove for her third goal of the season. Sydney Foster was awarded an assist on her sister’s goal.
- Mackenzie O’Neil added an insurance goal at the 9:15 mark of the period. She fired a shot from the right faceoff circle past Vance for her third goal of the season. Elizabeth MacMurray and Erin Murray were awarded assists on a play that originated off a Murray save.
- Neither team found the back of the net in the third period. The Panthers had a slight 10-9 edge in shots on goal in the final 20 minutes.
William Smith will be back in action on Saturday, December 10, when it begins a six-game homestand with a pair of games against Williams. Saturday’s game against the Ephs is scheduled to begin at 7:30 p.m.