The William Smith College ice hockey team was defeated by fourth-ranked Elmira, 5-0, in a New England Hockey Conference contest at The Cooler on Saturday afternoon. The Herons are now 3-2-1 on the season with a 2-2-0 mark in conference play while the Soaring Eagles improve to 5-0-0 overall and 4-0-0 in conference play.
Erika Goleniak led the way for Elmira with three points on a goal and two assists. Claire Elfring and Morgan Mordini added a goal and an assist each. Leonie-Louise Kuehberger made 16 saves in the victory. Erin Murray and Annie Hauser split time in goal. Hauser started and made 16 saves. Murray came on in relief and stopped all 27 shots she faced.
- Elmira finished the game with a 48-16 advantage in shots on goal.
- The Soaring Eagles were 1-for-2 on the power play while the Herons were 0-for-4.
- Goleniak opened the scoring at the 8:20 mark of the first period. Her first goal of the season was assisted by Mary McCafferty and Holley Riva.
- The Soaring Eagles extended the lead to two goals at the 17:52 mark of the opening frame. Claire Meeder ripped a shot past Hauser for her fourth goal of the season. Madi Morton and Mordini notched helpers on the power-play goal.
- Elmira broke the game open with three goals in four minutes midway through the second frame.
- Mordini notched a short-handed goal. Elfring was awarded an assist on the goal. She intercepted a William Smith centering pass and her outlet pass sent Mordini off to the races.
- Elfring added a goal of her own two minutes later.
- Mandy McCarrick wrapped up the scoring at the 13:43 mark of the period. Her first collegiate goal was assisted by McCafferty and Goleniak.
- Neither team scored in the final frame.
- Murray stopped all 21 shots from Elmira.
William Smith will be back in action on Friday, November 18, when it continues a three-game homestand. The Herons will welcome Johnson & Wales for a 7 p.m. puck drop.