The Hobart College basketball team went toe-to-toe with nationally-ranked Oswego State on Friday night. The Statesmen led the fifth-ranked Lakers as late as the 11:55 mark of the second half, but Oswego State rallied for a 65-53 victory in the Eastern Connecticut State University Tip Off Tournament.
Hobart senior Jackson Meshanic produced a team-high 14 points, grabbed a game-high 14 rebounds and shared team-high honors with four assists. Senior Andrew Lynch added nine points, all from beyond the 3-point arc, while senior Patrick Walker chipped in eight points and four assists.
Oswego State put three players in double figures, led by Ahkee Anderson’s 15 points.
- After a back-and-forth first half, Hobart carried a 30-25 lead into halftime thanks to a 14-3 finishing run.
- The Statesmen trailed 22-16, but Carter Meshanic made 3-of-4 free throws and Lynch connected from deep to tie the game.
- Tied again at 25, Lynch dialed up long distance again and Walker blocked a 3-point try on defense and scored a layup at the other end of the floor for a five-point advantage at the break.
- Hobart shot 42.3% from the floor with five 3-pointers in the first half.
- Oswego shot 32.4% with three triples.
- The Statesmen scored the first four points of the second half to extend their lead to nine.
- By the 12:51 mark, the Lakers had fought their way back to tie the game at 41.
- Hobart reclaimed the lead 43-41 and 45-43, both times on buckets by Walker.
- Oswego State (1-0) answered the Statesmen’s final lead with 16 consecutive points to take control of the game. Anderson keyed the run with seven points.
- The Lakers shot 50% from the floor after the break, while limiting Hobart to 37% shooting.
“We competed against a good team tonight and learned a lot about ourselves. Getting tournament experience early in the year against good competition will be helpful as we battle in the Liberty League.” – Head Coach Stefan Thompson ’13
- Hobart (1-1) will play Anna Maria (1-1) in the consolation game of the tournament Saturday at noon.