Skip to content
Home » News » $246M in federal funding coming to counties to prep for emergencies and counter-terrorism efforts

$246M in federal funding coming to counties to prep for emergencies and counter-terrorism efforts

More than $246 million in federal funding is coming to communities across New York State toe support counterterrorism and emergency preparedness efforts.

The funding is part of the FY2022 Homeland Security Grant Program and supports regional homeland security preparedness efforts, including planning, organization, equipment, training, and exercise activities which are critical to sustaining and improving community prevention, protection, response, and recovery capabilities.

The New York State Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services manages these programs in close coordination with local stakeholders.

“We continue to face a myriad of threats such as cyberattacks, domestic extremism, and potential attacks on our election system, and the more than $246 million announced today will be critical to help law enforcement agencies across the state continue their emergency preparedness and anti-terrorism efforts,” Governor Kathy Hochul said announcing the funding.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency’s Homeland Security Grant Program is comprised of three separate risk-based grants aimed at assisting state, local, and tribal efforts in preventing, preparing for, protecting against, and responding to acts of terrorism. Those programs are the State Homeland Security Program, the Urban Area Security Initiative and Operation Stonegarden.


“This critical funding supports emergency responders across the state by giving them the resources they need to bolster their response capabilities and keep our communities safe,” New York State Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services Commissioner Jackie Bray said.

State Homeland Security Program – $68 million total investment across the state

The State Homeland Security Program provides funding to prevent, protect against, respond to, and recover from acts of terrorism and other catastrophic disasters. Per federal guidelines, the Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services awards 80 percent of this funding to local jurisdictions. This includes the list of awards below, as well as an additional suite of targeted grants which will be made available in the coming months. The remaining 20 percent of funding is used by the state to further enhance New York’s counterterrorism and emergency preparedness posture statewide.

Investments were required to support the following priority areas in an effort to build statewide capabilities: strengthening intelligence and information-sharing capabilities; enhancing cybersecurity capabilities; enhancing the protection of soft targets/crowded places; combating domestic violent extremism; community preparedness and resilience; and election security.

Breakdown by county:

Cayuga – $132,303
Cortland – $51,215
Monroe – $620,911
Ontario – $170,714
Onondaga – $371,008
Oswego – $166,445
Schuyler – $46,946
Seneca – $51,215
Steuben – $110,965
Tompkins – $98,160
Wayne – $145,106
Yates – $34,143

Operation Stonegarden Grant Program – $2 million total investment across the state

This grant provides critical funding to enhance cooperation and coordination between federal, state, local and tribal law enforcement agencies through the support of joint operations which are conducted along the northern border.

Breakdown by county:

Cayuga – $75,900
Monroe – $116,500
Wayne – $82,600



Top