KEUKA PARK, N.Y.—The Hobart College soccer team defeated Keuka 3-0 in a non-conference contest at Jephson Community Athletic Complex. The win was the Statesmen’s fourth straight in a season-opener.
Three different Statesmen scored in the victory and six players found their way onto the scoresheet. Christian Burkhart and Guillermo Castañeda Chang each played 45 minutes in goal, combining for one save.
- Brian Sheehan opened the scoring in the sixth minute. He headed home a Frederick Madsen corner kick.
- Quinn Phillips gave the Statesmen a 2-0 lead in the 36th minute. He collected a pass from Connor Koschineg and fired a shot home from the penalty spot.
- Nick Kasper sealed the victory with a header goal off a free kick with 16 seconds remaining in regulation. Griffin Patterson floated a free kick from near midfield to Kasper’s head.
- Keuka’s best chance came in the 14th minute. Thomas Callery’s shot was punched over the crossbar by Burkhart.
- The Statesmen had a 9-5 edge in shots and a 6-1 advantage in corner kicks.
- Sheehan and Phillips scored their first collegiate goals in their collegiate debut.
“It was a great start to the season with two goals coming off set pieces and another from the run of play,” Griffin said. “This game provided us with some good pictures of areas we have to improve upon. I am looking forward to our next opponent on Sunday.”
Hobart will be back in action on Sunday, Sept. 4, when it welcomes Medaille to Cozzens Field. The game is scheduled to begin at 3 p.m.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected]