Grilling or smoking our food outdoors has become the all-American way to prepare food during the pleasant weather seasons. As always onsite at Seneca Meadows, we are always researching for behaviors that can improve site safety, we also carry these strategies into our personal lives to improve our overall safety at home. According to the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments responded to an average of 8900 annual fires involving grills or related equipment including 3900 structure fires and 4900 outside fires.
Our top list of grilling safety behaviors:
- Always keep grill well away from the home, structures and trees.
- Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the grill area.
- Keep your grill clean and remove debris, grease and fat.
- Always keep gas grill lid open when lighting.
- Always attend your grill and avoid distractions.
Kyle Black is the District Manager at Seneca Meadows Landfill located in Seneca Falls, New York.