In this episode, we talk with Yates County Administrator Nonie Flynn following this month’s County Legislature meeting.
At this month’s meeting, lawmakers:
- Approved a new redistricting plan. Legislator Dan Banach voted no because the plan splits Penn Yan into multiple districts.
- Passed a local law to change the name of the Department of Emergency Management to Emergency Services, and updated the definition of the department’s duties.
- Set July 11 as the date for a public hearing on extending the county occupancy tax.
- Passed a local law to allow meetings to continue to be held using teleconferencing. The special state authorization allowing teleconferencing expires in July.
- Moved unassigned funds from the general fund to infrastructure and building reserves.
We learned that three new employees have been hired by the county, in part due to an incentive that allows them to receive free Class B CDL driving lessons from Canandaigua Driving School.
The county will receive the fiber needed for the broadband rollout project this week and the bids for the installation will be opened next month.
Penn Yan airport chosen for first in the nation lighting test
The Penn Yan airport was chosen by the FAA as the first in the country to test a solar lighting system that will someday allow smaller airports that don’t have any safety lighting to install it. The solar lights were installed in September 2021 and will be tested for a year.