If you’re looking to upgrade to the new iPhone consider selling or trading in your new one first.
Here are some places that offer good rates.
What are my options?
If you’re looking to upgrade, consider selling or trading in your old iPhone first. This way you can earn hundreds towards your new phone. Here we’ll list a few good options for you to get money for your old phone. Read more about it here.
- Sell it to a buy-back service
- Decluttr: lightning-fast quotes
- Buybackboss: super easy to use
- GadgetGone: top dollar for your phone
- Trade it in for credit towards a new one
- Apple: store credit
- Best Buy: store gift card
- Sell in on your own
- Craigslist: good for cash, but higher risk
- Facebook Marketplace: good for cash, but with more seller protection
- eBay: safe for buyers and sellers, but lots of fees
When should I sell my old iPhone?
Your iPhone is losing value daily. Most people don’t want to sell immediately because they don’t want to be without a phone until the new one arrives.
Most buy-back and trade-in options give you a grace period (sometimes known as “price lock”) of up to 30 days after selling before you have to send it in.
What do I need to do before I sell it?
Regardless of how you decide to part with your old iPhone, you’ll have to do some prep. Here are some tips:
- Back it up: Make sure you’ve saved all of your important data like contacts, photos, videos, and apps. You can use Apple’s iCloud service or a third party cloud storage service.
- Turn off Find My: Turn off the Find My security feature before you sell your phone or nobody will be able to use or reset it. To turn it off go your iPhone Settings>[your username]> Find My and turn it off.
- Wipe it: Sign out of all apps and connected accounts go to Settings> General> Reset> Erase all content and settings. Once that is done, go to General> Reset> Reset all settings to put the iPhone back to factory settings.
- Remove the SIM card: You’ll need the SIM card for your new phone to keep your existing number and service.
You’ll get more money for your phone the better the condition. That means no cracks in the screen, dents, scratches, no water damage and working well.
If your iPhone is damaged, you might still be able to get something for it. Some services will even pay for phones that don’t turn on.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected].