Skip to content
Home » Valentine's Day » Sheriff: Walworth teen in custody after deputy hurt during incident at Wayne Central Middle School

Sheriff: Walworth teen in custody after deputy hurt during incident at Wayne Central Middle School

UPDATE: Monday 8:30 p.m.

Sheriff Barry Virts has provided another update on the incident that unfolded Monday morning at the Wayne Central Middle School.

Thomas Franco, 19, of Walworth is accused of brandishing a weapon at school officials during an altercation. A school resource officer, who is also a deputy for the Wayne County Sheriff’s Office responded to the scene- and the building was placed into lockdown.

Franco resisted during the arrest process- causing injury to the deputy.

The SRO was transported to Strong Memorial Hospital for treatment of his injuries and released. No students were injured or involved in the incident.

Virts says Franco was charged with two counts of criminal possession of a weapon and assault. He was remanded to the Wayne County Jail and will answer the charges at a later date.

UPDATE: Monday 3 p.m.

A school in Wayne County is in lockdown after an incident during the morning hours on Monday.

Sheriff Barry Virts says that a deputy acting as a school resource officer at the Wayne Central Middle School was injured during an incident with an employee.

It happened Monday morning after the deputy responded to assist with staff who were already engaged in a physical confrontation with the employee.

Virts says the employee was armed with a knife. The school was temporarily placed into lockdown, but all students were safe and accounted for. Both the deputy and suspect were transported to local hospitals for treatment, according to the sheriff.

The investigation remains active at this time.

Wayne Central Superintendent Joseph Siracuse released the following statement after the incident:

“This morning an incident occurred at the Wayne Central Middle School involving a staff member, school personnel and a school resource officer. No students were involved nor did any students witness the event. The district followed emergency lockdown procedures and students were kept safe. The district is working with law enforcement and there is an active investigation that prohibits me from providing more specific details at this time. I know that there is a lot of speculation. What I can share is that here was a fast and significant law enforcement presence. Please know, the safety of our students is top priority. Should any member of our community have a question about this incident, please feel free to call your child’s principal or my office at 315-524-1001.”