What were the biggest stories of the week in the Finger Lakes? There are several that have people talking, and this week on Episode #60 of The Debrief Podcast, Ted Baker, Jackie Augustine, and Josh Durso are in-studio breaking it all down.
Topics for discussion this week include:
– A recent appointment by the Cuomo Administration to the Committee on Open Government, which drew a lot of criticism.
– The state of the economy in Upstate New York after a City-Journal piece was published by E.J. McMahon. Recent tweets by Lt. Gov. Kathy Hochul also drew harsh criticism online, as she touted the Southern Tier’s ‘soaring’ economy.
– The town of Enfield’s decision to end the practice of reciting the pledge at the start of board meetings. The board voted 4-1 to end that practice with only one dissenting vote.
– A pair of stories involving Congressman Tom Reed, who was named to President Donald Trump’s New York re-election team, and is openly considering a challenge to Gov. Andrew Cuomo in 2022.
– Former Congressman Chris Collins, who represented the 27th District, will be sentenced on Friday. Letters of support made headlines earlier this week, as several key officials around the region and Western New York backed the embattled rep.
– A pair of stories about criminal justice. The first about reforms, and a recent speaker in Geneva, who addressed the changes to bail reform and discovery – calling them necessary. The second about a pair of bills that are being actively considered in Albany, which would effectively end life sentences.
Watch the program live in the video player here, or subscribe to the podcast and listen on Spotify or Apple Podcasts.
This content is brought to you by the FingerLakes1.com Team. Support our mission by visiting www.patreon.com/fl1 or learn how you send us your local content here.