Henderson: Both occupants died from smoke inhalation
Update: Thursday, 3 p.m.
Sheriff Kevin Henderson says the investigation into a fatal fire that took the life of a 12-year-old Palmyra-Macedon student and his 84-year-old grandmother is both complex and time consuming.
He said in an update on Thursday that the cause of death for both individuals, who were inside the Ellsworth Road home at the time of the blaze was smoke inhalation.
Sheriff Henderson says the fire remains under investigation at this time.
His office is being assisted by the Ontario County Fire Coordinators Office.
A vigil was set to be held Thursday night at the Palmyra Community Center.
Vigil set to be held to remember Conrad Button who would have turned 13 today
– Update: Thursday, 7 a.m.
Friends, family, classmates, and the community are going to come together Thursday to remember the 12-year-old who died alongside his grandmother in a devastating fire on Ellsworth Road in the town of Farmington.
Conrad Button, 12, and Mary Button, 84, perished in the fire on Tuesday.
The vigil is planned to be held at the Palmyra Community Center at 7 p.m. It would have been his 13th birthday.
“He took it tough. He really took it tough,” recalled Isaac’s father, Randy, who found it difficult to tell his son what had happened to his friend, The Canandaigua Messenger reports. “It was hard for me, very hard for me to tell [him] about it because I didn’t want to… It’s emotional.”
The public is welcomed to attend the vigil scheduled to be held on Thursday.
Palmyra Macedon School District will provide supports for students, staff after 12-year-old dies in overnight blaze
Tuesday at 10:30 a.m.
Sheriff Kevin Henderson has provided an update on the double-fatal fire in the town of Farmington, which is under investigation.
Around 2:47 a.m. deputies responded to 191 Ellsworth Road for a reported house fire with people inside.
Henderson says that by the time deputies arrived – the house was fully-engulfed. Entry to the home was impossible, but first responders fought the flames from outside.
He says that the remains of Mary Button, 84, and Conrad Button, 12, both of Palmyra were found deceased inside the residence.
The Ontario County Fire Coordinator and Ontario County Sheriff’s Office are both working on investigation, according to Henderson.
Henderson says Conrad was a student in the Palmyra-Macedon Central School District. The school has been notified, and will be preparing the staff and students – allocating the necessary resources to help those impacted by the loss of Conrad.
This morning, Palmyra-Macedon Middle School Principal Dr. Darcy Smith said, “Conrad was a beloved member of the middle school and this is an incredibly difficult time for all throughout the district and local community.”
Smith said Conrad was a member of choir, band, cub scouts, and multiple sports.
Palmyra-Macedon Superintendent Bob Ike expressed grief and sadness on behalf of the district. “”We will work closely with our crisis response team and local agencies to ensure we have the resources on hand to assist anyone throughout the district impacted.”
Manchester, Farmington, Port Gibson, South Macedon, Shortsville, and Palmyra fire departments responded to the scene. The Macedon Police Department, Victor-Farmington Ambulance, and Finger Lakes Ambulance also responded.
New York State Police, The American Red Cross, and RG&E provided support at the scene.
Throughout the incident Ellsworth Road was shut down. The investigation remains active.
Ontario county sheriffs tells me two lives were lost in a fire in Farmington. An 84 year old woman and her 12 year old grandson. @SPECNewsROC what’s left standing is the chimney. House was fully engulfed earlier. pic.twitter.com/bDP1kRhLyb
— Jillian Parker (@JillianParker_) December 17, 2019
To have the latest delivered to your smartphone or tablet – download the FingerLakes1.com App for Android and iOS. Follow the links below to download the app now! – Android (All Android Devices) – iOS (iPhone, iPad)