Not what anyone expected.
Officials from the Wayne County Sheriff’s Office, Wayne County District Attorney’s Office, New York State Police, Clyde Police Department, and Village of Clyde held a press conference on Friday.
While many expected new information to come to light following the disturbing assault of a student there at the Clyde-Savannah High School — the reality was opposite.
Earlier this week four teens were indicted for their involvement in an assault on a student. The teens were part of the Clyde-Savannah Varsity Football team. The assault prompted the cancelation of the team’s semi-final postseason game. It also prompted a widespread investigation, which prosecutors on Friday said remains active.
However, aside from the information that had been previously released (see below in this story) — the press conference that took place at 1 p.m. on Friday yielded no new information, nor any new public statements by local officials.
They called the case ‘very sensitive’ and noted that the courts will ultimately dictate whether the teens are “adjudicated as youthful offenders or adults.” Prosecutors said there’s a significant range for outcomes in terms of sentencing. They noted that the next court dates would be November 15 and 16.
However, due to age of the defendants and New York State laws around prosecution — those details will not be released at any point.
For now, the community will wait until the Clyde-Savannah Central School Board holds its postponed meeting next Wednesday.
Watch the Presser
Four teens indicted after locker room assault at Clyde-Savannah HS was recorded
Four teens have been indicted on serious charges after a locker room assault at the Clyde-Savannah High School.
Police have been investigating the incident since Halloween.
The victim has been identified as a 14-year-old. The teens who were indicted, ages 15, 16, and 17 were charged with first-degree aggravated sexual abuse – a felony, as well as first-degree hazing and forcible touching.
A 16-year-old was also indicted on two counts of second-degree unlawful surveillance. He’s accused of recording the attack on the 14-year-old victim.
An order of protection was issued on behalf of the victim. Following arraignment on the charges in Youth Part Court – the teens were released back to their parents.
The investigation is still active.
Clyde-Savannah school board cancels meeting amid community outrage over silence on student assault investigation
The Clyde-Savannah Central School Board abruptly canceled its regular meeting scheduled for Wednesday evening on the recommendation of the local police department.
The postponement is connected to ongoing inquiries into an alleged assault incident in the high school locker room before a football practice on Halloween.
The community has expressed a mixture of shock and a desire for clarity regarding the events that led to the cancellation of the varsity football team’s season.
While details are scarce, it has been reported that a video circulating on Snapchat depicts several players assaulting an underclassman.
The Clyde Police Department, along with New York State Police, is investigating the matter, working in collaboration with the Wayne County District Attorney’s office and the Wayne County Sheriff’s Department.
The next board meeting is rescheduled for November 15, as the district superintendent emphasizes the importance of maintaining confidentiality and the integrity of the active investigation.
The Village of Clyde has issued a statement expressing their disappointment and has urged anyone with information to come forward, while also emphasizing the need for caution in public commentary during the ongoing investigation.
Full statement from the Clyde Police Department on Wednesday, November 8:
“Clyde Village Police Department is continuing our investigation of the incident at Clyde-Savannah School. Holding a school board meeting may encourage misinformation and create rumors. The school board cannot answer questions at this time due to an active criminal investigation. Clyde PD is working in conjunction with the Wayne County District Attorney’s office, The New York State Police and the Wayne County Sheriff’s Department in this investigation.”
Full statement from the Village of Clyde on Wednesday, November 8:
“We as a village are saddened, surprised, and disappointed with the events/alleged accusations surrounding our school district. Be advised that this is an active investigation. Due to the sensitivity, and ages of those involved with this investigation we cannot comment any further at this time. We would like to thank all law enforcement officials who have been involved, spent many hours, and are continuing to, with a difficult task at hand. At this point if you have any details, questions, or video footage concerning this matter please contact The Clyde police department. You can be assured that when we can, without jeopardizing the case, we (The village and law enforcement involved) will release a full statement. It is imperative that everyone remembers that this IS an active investigation prior to commenting.“
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected].