The Pal-Mac Lions Club recently celebrated its 65th anniversary, marking over six decades of serving the communities of Palmyra and Macedon, New York. Originally chartered in 1929, the club has demonstrated remarkable resilience, weathering financial difficulties during the Depression and temporarily operating without a charter. Re-chartered in 1944, the club has been a continuous presence in the community for over 92 years.
Despite changes over time, the club’s mission has remained constant: to meet community needs. Historically, the club’s primary fundraiser was their food concession trailer at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints’ 10-day Hill Cumorah Pageant. However, with the event’s recent discontinuation, the club now faces the challenge of finding new ways to fund their service work.
Adapting to the new circumstances, the Pal-Mac Lions Club’s concession trailer will appear at local events such as Craft Fairs, The Wayne County Fair, Palmyra Canaltown Days, and Wayne County’s 200th Bicentennial events. Beyond fundraising, the club continues to provide scholarships, support local food pantries, deliver Christmas baskets to the needy, and offer eye screenings for nursery and kindergarten children using a high-tech digital vision screening camera, among other initiatives. The Pal-Mac Lions Club, starting a new fiscal year with newly elected officers and directors, remains a significant source of support for the communities of Palmyra and Macedon.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected].