Skip to content
Home » News » Tragic convenience store shooting in Yakima, Washington leaves three dead and suspect dead from self-inflicted gunshot wound

Tragic convenience store shooting in Yakima, Washington leaves three dead and suspect dead from self-inflicted gunshot wound

  • / Updated:
  • Staff Report 

In a tragic event that took place early Tuesday morning in Yakima, Washington, a shooting at a local convenience store left three people dead and the suspect dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. The suspect, Jarid Haddock, 21, was initially believed to be at a specific residence, leading the police to initiate a SWAT callout. However, the suspect was later found at a nearby Target store.

According to Yakima Police Chief Matt Murray, the suspect borrowed a woman’s phone to call his mother, and she overheard him making statements that he killed the three people and was going to kill himself. The woman got her phone back and informed the police of what she heard, and also informed them that he was at a nearby Pizza Hut. The suspect, who was traveling on foot, was later found near a marijuana store.

As police approached, they heard gunshots and found Haddock dead. Authorities believe he shot himself, but no one saw him carry out the act. Police found a large amount of ammunition and a semi-automatic handgun with Haddock, Murray said. Medical responders attempted to save Haddock’s life, but he was pronounced dead on the scene.

Finger Lakes Partners (Billboard)

During an early morning news conference, Murray described the incident as two separate shootings, one at a Circle K convenience store at about 3:30 a.m. and the other across the street, carried out by the same shooter and taking place just minutes apart. Murray said, “It appears to be a random situation. There was no apparent conflict between the parties. The male just walked in and started shooting.”

Initially, police believed there may have been a fourth victim at a nearby Arco gas station, but in an update, Murray said Haddock had allegedly shot into his own car several times after locking himself out. The suspect fled in a gray or silver sedan that police believe is a Chrysler 200.

Haddock’s family has been cooperative with police, but it is unclear if Haddock was ever at his parents’ home the day of the shooting, Murray said. Haddock did have a prior record, Murray said. He was arrested in March 2020 after he ran from police who pulled him over for being in a stolen car.

This tragic event has left the Yakima community in shock and mourning. Police are urging the public to call 911 if they spot Haddock and warning people not to approach him.

Categories: News