There are a lot of things to look forward to in the year 2023, not least of all the NFL. So many exciting events are set to occur in the NFL this year, and devoted fans will certainly be paying attention. Given the many events lined up, it might be easy to lose track of things if you are not paying attention.
Not to worry though, we are here to help. In this article, we have put together some of the most important dates and events to take note of as the NFL progresses in 2023. These dates are relevant not just for committed NFL fans but also for avid bettors who will try hard to work out various NFL odds this year. Without further ado, let’s dive right in:
This marks week 18 of the NFL regular season.
- From this date, clubs are allowed to start signing free-agent players in preparation for the 2023 season.
- The NCAA National Championship game will take place at SoFi Stadium, Inglewood, CA.
- This also constitutes the earliest permissible date for clubs to renegotiate and possibly extend rookie contracts. This applies to both drafted rookies who were selected in any round of the NFL draft in 2020 and undrafted rookies who signed in 2021.
Wild Card Games to take place.
This constitutes the deadline for NCAA players who are in the category underclassmen to apply for Special Eligibility. The list of such players approved for entry into the 2023 College Draft will be sent to clubs on January 20.
Divisional Playoff Games to take place.
AFC & NFC Championship Games to take place.
Super Bowl LVII to take place at the State Farm Stadium, Glendale, Arizona.
February 28 – March 6
NFL Scouting Combine to take place at Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, Indiana.
March 13 – 15
This marks the beginning of the negotiation period. Between 12:00 noon on March 13 and 3:59:59 pm on March 15, New York Time, clubs are allowed to contact and negotiate contracts with the certified agents of players who are set to become unrestricted free agents once their 2022 player contracts expire at 4:00 pm on March 15.
- This is the end/start of the league year. Before 4:00 pm, all clubs must exercise options for 2023 on all players who have an option clause in their 2022 contracts.
- Before 4:00 pm, clubs can submit qualifying offers to restricted free agents with expiring contracts in order to retain aRight of First Refusal.
- Before 4:00 pm, all clubs must be under the 2023 salary cap, and the contracts of all 2022 NFL players will expire.
- The 2023 League Year and Free Agency Period begins at 4:00 pm, with the day ending at 11:59:59 pm. Clubs will receive personnel notice, including all transactions submitted to the League Office within this period.
- Trading period for 2023 begins at 4:00 pm.
Annual League Meeting to take place in Phoenix, Arizona.
Off-season workout programs can begin for clubs that appointed a new head coach after the end of the 2022 regular season.
Offseason workout programs can begin for clubs with returning head coaches.
This is the deadline for clubs to time, test, visit, interview, or have a physical examination with a draft-eligible player at a club facility.
Free agents’ deadline to sign offer sheets.
Prior clubs’ deadline to exercise the Right of First Refusal with respect to restricted free agents.
This is the deadline for clubs to time, test, visit, interview, or have a physical examination with a draft-eligible player at any location.
NFL Draft to take place in Kansas City, Missouri.
Rookie Football Development Programs may begin.
Spring League Meeting to take place.
2023 promises to be another exciting year for the NFL. We will be looking forward to seeing the talented who make it to the league this year, as well as what team emerges as the next Super Bowl champion.