The National Women’s Hall of Fame, located in the historic Seneca Knitting Mill, has completed the restoration of its first floor, and is now open for visitors. The 1844 limestone structure, which has served as the Hall’s temporary home, is now set to undergo further renovations to convert the remaining upper floors into a permanent home for the organization.
The Town of Seneca Falls, in an effort to support the renovation, plans to apply for a $2 million grant from the Restore New York Communities Initiative. The funds will be used to renovate and rehabilitate the second, third, and fourth floors, creating an additional 11,500 square feet of usable space. The total estimated cost of the remaining work is $2.2 million.
The Town Board will hold a public hearing on the grant application on January 20th, at 12:00 pm, in the Ovid Street municipal building. The Restore NY program is administered by the Empire State Development Corp and the Town is applying for Round 7 grant money.
The renovation project includes the design and rehabilitation of the upper three floors, turning them into a fully operational museum and event space. Town officials have noted that the conversion of the mill into the Hall of Fame’s permanent home is a crucial component of the town’s master plan.
The project aims to address the Hall’s need for expansion and programming growth, provide full access to all four floors of the building for exhibits, programming, community gatherings, and conference space, promote regional tourism and economy, and rehabilitate a downtown historic structure of great significance.
The HOF will be responsible for any costs over and above the grant.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected].