In order to apply for food stamps you’ll have to meet certain criteria.
You’ll also have to provide some personal information for the application.
The Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program, otherwise known as food stamps aims to help low income families and individuals. You’ll have to provide your Social Security number, birthday, address, income and expenses when applying. Find additional details here.
In order to get SNAP benefits, you’ll have to meet the requirements:
- household income is at or below 130% of the poverty line
- For example, the poverty line for a family of three is $2,379 a month or $28,550 a year.
- net income must still be at or below the poverty line with net income- after deductions.
- households without an elderly person, or someone with a disability must have assets equating to $2,500 or less, and households with those people must have assets of $3,750 or less
How do I apply?
There are a few options when it comes to applying for food stamps:
- go to your local DTA office
Over the phone
- DTA Assistance Line is (877) 382-2363 (press 7 to apply for SNAP benefits)
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected].