First responders say two people were sent to Clifton Springs Hospital following a fire at their residence around 4 a.m.
Firefighters were called to Pelis Road in Phelps for the report of a fire. The residents, identified as Alfred and Susan Like, 84 and 80, were able to exit and call for help from a neighbors home.
The fire originated in the basement, according to investigators, who said Phelps, Clifton Springs, and Marbletown fire departments responded.
The basement suffered moderate damage.
An electric space heater was to blame for the blaze, officials said.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected].