The New Vision Medical Careers Program, a Wayne-Finger Lakes Technical Career Center Program historically hosted at Geneva General Hospital for 26 years, had to adjust this year.
Due to COVID-19 there were some changes in the program for safety. The program’s primary location moved to the FLTCC Flint Campus in December, yet the clinical connections remained strong. During the pandemic, the New Vision Medical program has continued in-person learning all year with their instructor Mrs. Laura VanNiel and benefitted from an interdisciplinary, experiential learning and career exploration model through guest speakers via zoom and in-person.
On Monday, March 8 Dr. Rodolfo Queiroz, partner in Finger Lakes Radiology LLC, a long-time beloved New Vision Medical mentor presented on “Technology and Diagnostic Imaging”. Dr. Queiroz is an interventional radiologist, board-certified in diagnostic radiology with a certificate of added qualifications. He is also past President of the Geneva General Hospital Medical Staff.
The New Vision Medical Careers Program at Geneva General Hospital is a highly selective program for rising high school seniors from the 14 component school districts in which Finger Lakes Technical & Career Center serve (Bloomfield, Canandaigua, Dundee, Geneva, Gorham-Middlesex, Honeoye, Manchester-Shortsville, Naples, Penn Yan, Phelps-Clifton Springs, Romulus, Seneca Falls, Victor and Waterloo).
Current high school juniors can apply now for academic year 2021-2022, through submission of an application via their home school guidance office. New Vision Medical Career Program applications are due to component school guidance counselors by Friday, March 26, 2021, 3:00 pm.
During this academic year, the following guest speakers have supported the program to assure the engaging, interdisciplinary learning could continue. Several of the presenters were New Vision Medical alumni from Cary Bennett, a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner complimenting the bioethics unit with a lesson on “Ethics of Pediatric Palliative Care” to the NVMCP Class of 2020 sharing their first semester college experiences.
- Tammy Healy RN, BSN, CPHQ CIC, Infection Prevention and PPE
- Sue Conrey MSN, BSN, Cardiac Rehabilitation for Cardiac Events
- Shelley Viggiano Sonographer, Basics of Clinical Echocardiography
- Jessica Salamone ScM, CGC, Genetic Counseling Career
- Hannah Jacon’14 PA-C, NV Medical to My Dream Job
- Sennett Turner’20 University of Rochester, First Year of College
- New Vision Medical Careers Class of 2020 Share the Wealth
- Morgan DeVuyst’12, MS, PA-C, COVID Patient Case Study
- Alyssa Benziger’16, MLS, MPH, Understanding the COVID-19 Vaccines
- Ashley Tarr’10, PMHNP-BC, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
- Cary Bennett’96 PhD(c), CPNP-AC, CCRN, Ethics Pediatric Palliative Care
- Dennis Youngs’16, Katie Stevents’16, Kelley Reese’16, First Year Medical Students, Patient Case Study
- Samantha Gage’14, Third Year Medical Student, NV Medical to Medical School
- Rodolpho Queiroz M.D., Technology and Diagnostic Imaging
- Geoffrey Ostrander’03 M.D., NV Medical to Physician and Suturing Activity
- Carrie Mattoon, PA-C, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Social Determinants of Health
- Susan Romano, MBA, Comparing Financial Aid Offers
- FLHCON Honor Students, The Nursing Profession
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected].