Troopers say that hazmat incident on William Street in Lyons was ‘non-hazardous’.
Police say the incident took place in the former Fox Drugs pharmacy according to the manager of the Ohman Theater. The manager told WHEC-TV that theater employees were working to clear the building as the theater plans to expand into the vacant space.
An employee found a dark bottle with a white substance labeled as sodium cyanide, a toxic chemical. The theater then alerted authorities to the situation, according to WHEC-TV.
Hazmat teams discovered that the substance was actually sodium carbonate, which is not toxic.
Police say that the 2 p.m. show was cancelled and the area was cleared around 4:15 p.m. No other shows were impacted.
To have the latest updates, information, and headlines delivered to your smartphone or tablet – download the FingerLakes1.com App for Android and iOS. Follow the links below to download the app now! – Android (All Android Devices) – iOS (iPhone, iPad)