Skip to content
Home » News » Montour, Odessa firefighters battle grass blaze sparked by cookout

Montour, Odessa firefighters battle grass blaze sparked by cookout

  • / Updated:
  • Staff Report 

A grass fire, reportedly caused by a cook stove, scorched approximately an acre of woodland grass behind a residence on State Route 224 near Alpine this Thursday afternoon. Firefighters from Odessa and Montour Falls were promptly dispatched to extinguish the blaze, which neared but did not damage the homeowner’s property.


The homeowner, a man whose identity has not yet been disclosed, sustained leg burns in the incident and was airlifted to a Syracuse hospital for treatment. His condition is currently unknown. Authorities established a landing zone for the helicopter close to the scene, facilitated by the Mecklenburg fire department.

Officials noted that the fire originated from an ordinary cookout, with an errant spark igniting the surrounding grass in a lightly wooded area. The situation was quickly brought under control, preventing any further injuries or structural harm.