The top-ranked Hobart Hockey team scored four goals in the third period as it knocked off Vermont State Castleton in a New England Hockey Conference contest at The Cooler this evening. With the win, the Statesmen are now 21-2-1 overall with a 15-1-1 mark in conference play.
Junior forward Shane Shell led the way for Hobart recording three points on a goal and two assists. Senior forward Artem Buzoverya (1g, 1a), sophomore forward Tanner Hartman (1g, 1a) and first-year defenseman Bauer Morrissey (2a) also had multi-point games. Sophomore goalie Mavrick Goyer played all 60 minutes in goal. He made 23 saves.
Eight different players recorded a point for the Spartans (7-17-0, 4-13-0). Dominic Rodrigue played all 60 minutes in goal and made 37 saves.
- With today’s win Hobart extended its winning streak to seven games to 18 games. The Statesmen are 17-0-1 since loving to Babson.
- Hobart has scored six or more goals in seven straight games and 11 of its last 12 games.
- Hobart finished the game with a 43-26 advantage in shots on goal. After being out shot 11-8 in the first period, the Statesmen outshot Castleton 37-17 over the final 40 minutes.
- Both teams had a power-play goal. Hobart was 1-for-4 with the man advantage and Castleton was 1-for-3 with the extra attacker.
- Hobart opponents are now 2-for-73 against Hobart with the extra skater.
- The Spartans opened the scoring at the 7:09 mark of the first period. Stone Stelzl split the defense and slipped a backhanded shot past Goyer for his fourth goal of the season. Dylan Roebuck and Logan Dapprich had assists on the goal.
- Hobart tied the game just past the 10-minute mark of the opening frame. Sophomore Ignat Belov wristed a shot from the slot past Rodrigue. His team-leading 15th goal of the season was assisted by Hartman and Artem Buzoverya.
- Morrissey gave Hobart its first lead of the game five minutes into the middle frame. He wired a shot from the slot under the crossbar. Shell and Alexander were awarded the assists on the goal.
- Thirty-two seconds into the third period, the Statesmen took a two-goal lead on senior Austin Mourar’s sixth goal of the season. He one-timed a shot from the left faceoff circle past the goalie for his sixth goal of the season. Shell and Morrissey had helpers on the power-play goal.
- Buzoverya extended Hobart’s lead with his sixth goal of the season. He carried the puck out of the right corner and slipped a shot across the goal line. Senior Kevin Lassman and Hartman notched an assist on the goal.
- Matteo Turrin cut into the lead with his fifth goal of the season. Following a puck battle below the goal line, he chipped a shot into the upper corner of the cage. Balint Mesterhazy had an assist on the goal.
- Logan Gotinsky’s fifth goal of the season gave Hobart a 5-2 lead. He broke up a Rodrigue clearing attempt and fired a shot into a vacated goal.
- Andrew Stefura notched a power-play goal with just under three minutes remaining in regulation. His 16th goal of the year was set up by Bryce Irwin and Cam Reid.
- Shell rounded out the scoring with an unassisted shorthanded goal.
Hobart concludes the regular season tomorrow, Feb. 9, when it welcomes 13th-ranked Skidmore to The Cooler. Faceoff is scheduled for 4 p.m.