The William Smith hockey team was edged by Vermont State Castleton 4-1 in a New England Hockey Conference contest at Spartan Arena this evening. The Herons are now 15-8-1 overall this season with a 10-6-1 mark in conference play.
Junior Lauren Legler scored for the Herons. Junior Erin Murray played all 60 minutes in goal and made 32 saves.
Moa Carlsson recorded a natural hat trick, scoring all three goals in the third period as the Spartans rallied for a 4-1 victory. Kristen DiCicco played all 60 minutes in goal for Castleton (10-12-2, 8-7-2) and made 24 saves.
- The Spartans finished with a 36-25 advantage in shots on goal.
- William Smith was 0-for-7 on the power play and Castleton was 1-for-6 with the extra attacker.
- William Smith opened the scoring 45 seconds into the game. Legler wristed a shot past DiCicco for her ninth goal of the season. First-year Laine Heiser and junior Kayla Ketchabaw were awarded assists on the goal.
- Castleton tied the game up at the 15:41 mark of the second period. Emily Harris slipped a shot past Murray. Her ninth goal of the season was assisted by Victoria Griffin and Ellie Schliebener.
- Carlsson’s first goal of the game proved to be the game-winning goal. She one-timed a shot from the slot into the back of the net. Julia Carpenter and Taylor Adams had assists on the power-play tally.
- Carlsson tacked on a pair of shorthanded goals in the final five minutes of the game. Her 10th goal of the year was assisted by Meg Aiken and Codi Bacon. Carlsson’s 11th goal of the season was assisted by Nora Pollestad and Carpenter.
William Smith will be back in action tomorrow, Feb. 10, when they travel to take on Plymouth St. Faceoff is scheduled for 2 p.m. at Hanaway Rink.