The Hobart basketball team secured a spot in the six-team Liberty League Championship Tournament with a 63-52 win at Skidmore tonight. Junior Pat Healy led the Statesmen with a game-high 21 points.
Hobart earned its sixth straight win with great free throw shooting, relentless rebounding and tenacious defense. Healy shot 8-of-17 from the floor and was perfect at the line (4-4) while pacing the Statesmen with eight rebounds, four assists and three steals. Senior Ryan Lucey and first-year Alex Moescheach contributed nine points.
Skidmore’s Prince Shyllon led the home team with 10 points. Joey Skoric logged seven points, eight rebounds and three assists. Ian Bentley had eight points and six blocked shots.
“Tonight was an amazing environment that tested our team’s ability to communicate and execute. I’m proud of how we responded and handled ourselves collectively tonight. Pat Healy performed well on both sides of the ball and set the tone for our team. In the second half we found our groove and made our free throws.”
— Head Coach Stefan Thompson ’13
- The Statesmen were 14-of-15 at the free throw line and kept the Thoroughbreds off the line. Skidmore was just 2-of-5.
- Hobart won as a team. The Statesmen had 10 players check into the game, all 10 grabbed at least one rebound and nine of them scored at least two points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first half was a defensive grind. Hunter Meshanic’s 3-pointer with eight and a half minutes left in the first half gave Hobart an 11-9 lead.
- Over the next five minutes, Skidmore found its groove, outscoring the Statesmen 13-4. Dillon McCafferty’s 3-pointer capped the run for a 22-15 Thoroughbred lead.
- Hobart closed the half on an 11-4 run that tied the game going into halftime. Healy made a 3-pointer and threw down a dunk on back-to-back possessions to help Hobart knot the game.
- The Statesmen carried the momentum through halftime, scoring nine of the first 10 second half points. Lucey scored the first five points after the intermission.
- Hobart built a double digit lead early in the half and never let Skidmore take a shot that could have tied or given it the lead down the stretch.
- Hobart entered the weekend tied with Rensselaer and St. Lawrence for first place in the Liberty League.
- All three teams won tonight to improve to 11-4 in conference play.
- With only three games remaining in the regular season, the trio have a four-game lead on the rest of the league.
FOR THE RECORD
- Hobart improved to 18-4 on the season.
- Skidmore slipped to 4-17 overall, 2-13 in the league.
END OF THE ROAD
- The Statesmen will play their final road game of the regular season when they visit Bard (12-10, 7-8). Tipoff is set for 4 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 10.