The William Smith College basketball team fell to St. Lawrence University 59-47 in Liberty League action in Bristol Gymnasium this afternoon.
Three Herons were in the double-digits in scoring against the Saints. Senior Brooke Jarvis led the team with 18 points and 11 rebounds, shooting 64% from the floor including 3-for-3 from behind the arc. First-year Amelia McCulley added 14 points, six rebounds, two assists and two steals for the Herons. Sophomore Mara Bledsoe chipped in 11 points and eight rebounds in the loss.
St. Lawrence produced two players in double-digit scoring and were led by Elizabeth Flynn with a game-high 20 points and 14 rebounds. Cam Rhodes added 12 points and seven rebounds in the win.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams pushed the tempo early forcing several turnovers on both sides. The game lacked scoring early on as it was tied 1-1 for the opening four minutes.
- Jarvis hit a deep three pointer to open up the game with five minutes remaining in the first.
- The teams traded points for the remainder of the quarter as St. Lawrence maintained a 12-9 lead heading into the second.
- The Herons opened the second on an 8-4 run powered by four points each from Bledsoe and first-year Miranda Martin.
- The Saints responded well with a 9-3 run of their own to grab a 25-20 lead heading into the half.
- Jarvis caught the hot hand to open the second half as she combined for eight points including two deep three pointers to chip into the Saints lead.
- McCulley sparked the offense late in the third with eight straight points including back-to-back threes to give William Smith a 36-33 lead.
- The fourth quarter saw back and forth action as the Herons and the Saints traded points and the lead. The final quarter saw six tie scores and seven lead changes.
- St. Lawrence used a late offensive push and strong shooting from the free throw line to grab the late lead and extend it out of William Smith’s reach. The Saints closed out the game on top 59-47.
FOR THE RECORD
- With the win, St. Lawrence moves to 10-10 overall, 9-5 in the Liberty League.
- William Smith drops to 5-16, 5-9.
William Smith will be back in action on the road as the Herons travel to Saratoga Springs to take on Skidmore. Action between the Herons and the Thoroughbreds is set for 5:30 p.m.