The William Smith hockey team was edged by UMass Boston 4-3 in a New England Hockey Conference contest at The Cooler this evening. The Herons will enter the final weekend of the regular season with a 15-7-1 overall record and a 10-5-1 mark in conference play.
Junior Lauren Legler led William Smith with two points, scoring a goal and adding an assist in the win. Senior Annie Hauserfinished the game with 28 saves in just under 60 minutes of work.
The Beacons (10-9-3, 9-4-2) were led by the duo of Katie Wilbert and Jenna Majewski, who had three points each. Victoria Kennedy played all 60 minutes in goal and made 31 saves as she earned the victory.
- William Smith finished the game with a 34-32 edge in shots on goal, including a 13-4 advantage in the final frame.
- Power play was the big advantage in the game. UMass Boston was 2-for-7 with the extra attacker and the Herons were 0-for-5 on the power play.
- William Smith opened the scoring at the 4:36 mark of the first period. Senior Mackenzie O’Neil snapped home a rebound for her 10th goal of the season. She picked up a rebound in the slot and flipped the loose puck past Kennedy. Senior Sydney Foster and Tara Valas were awarded assists on the tally.
- Wilbert tied the game with her fifth goal of the season. She crashed the net after Hauser stopped an Emily Hansen shot and flipped the puck into the empty net. Jenna Majewski also set up the power-play goal.
- Majewski gave UMass Boston the lead with her fourth goal of the season. She cleaned up a rebound in front of the cage, poking the loose puck across the goal line. Gianna Skreja and Hansen had assists on the goal.
- Four minutes later, Hansen gave the Beacons a 3-1 lead. With UMass Boston playing with a two-player advantage, She crashed the net on a shot from Wilbert and poked the puck into the back of the net. Majewski was also credited with an assist on the power-play goal.
- Legler cut into the Beacons’ lead at the 10:27 mark of the middle frame. She converted on a two-on-one with Brittany Foster. It was Legler’s eighth goal of the season.
- The Herons tied the game with just under four minutes remaining in the middle stanza. Junior Kayla Ketchabaw wristed a shot from the slot past Kennedy for her team-leading 12th goal of the year. Legler and Annabel Ziskin were awarded assists on the goal.
- Just over a minute later, Hanna MacDougall scored the game-winning goal. Her third goal of the season was assisted by Wilbert and Gabby Shontz.
- William Smith enters the final weekend of the regular season third in the NEHC with 31 points.
- The Herons can finish no lower than fifth in the conference standings. The third through fifth spots in the conference standings are separated by three points.
- If William Smith finishes in the top four, the Herons will have a home game in the first round.
William Smith will conclude the regular season with a two-game road trip. On Friday, the Herons will take on Castleton University at 6 p.m. The next day they will be at Plymouth State at 2 p.m.