The top-ranked Hobart hockey team cruised to a 6-1 victory over UMass Boston at the Edward T. Barry Ice Rink this afternoon. With the win, the Statesmen clinched the New England Hockey Conference’s regular season title for the third straight season.
Sophomore Kahlil Fontana led the way for Hobart with three points on a goal and two assists. Six different Statesmen recorded a goal in the victory. Sophomore Damon Beaver played all 60 minutes in goal and made 25 saves.
Jakob Teply scored for the Beacons (8-13-2, 6-10-0). Antonio Tarantino started in goal and made 37 saves in just over 41 minutes of work. Sal Carabelli made 13 saves in the final 18:26 minutes.
- With today’s win, Hobart is now 20-2-1 overall this season with a 14-1-1 mark in NEHC play. This is the fifth straight season and 10th time under Mason Family Hobart Head Hockey Coach Mark Taylor that Hobart has won 20 games in a season.
- The Statesmen are now unbeaten in a program-record 17 straight games. Since Nov. 11, Hobart is 16-0-1.
- This is the sixth straight game that Hobart scored five or more goals in a game and the 15th time this season.
- Hobart finished the game with a 56-26 advantage in shots on goal.
- Neither team scored a power-play goal in the contest. Hobart was 0-for-3 on the man advantage and UMass Boston was 0-for-1 with the extra skater.
- Hobart’s opponents are now 1-for-70 on the power play.
- The Statesmen opened the scoring at the 13:30 mark of the first period. Senior Matthieu Wuth fired a shot through from the right faceoff circle past Tarantino. His fifth goal of the season was assisted by senior Artem Buzoverya.
- First-year Brandon Sacchetti gave Hobart a two-goal lead just under three minutes into the second period. He fired a slap shot from the top of the left faceoff circle into the upper corner of the cage. Fontana was awarded an assist on Sacchetti’s eighth goal of the year.
- With just over five minutes remaining in the middle stanza. Sophomore Tristan Fasig notched his seventh goal of the season. He collected a pass from sophomore Tanner Daniels and slipped a backhanded shot across the goal line. Fontana also had an assist on the goal.
- Hobart broke the game open with a pair of goals in the opening 90 seconds of the third period. Senior Christian Duvall had the first goal. After taking two hits, he one-timed a centering pass from Shane Shellpast Tarantino. It was his fourth goal of the season.
- Seventeen seconds later, Fontana collected his eighth goal of the season. He redirected a pass from Daniels past the UMass goalie.
- Jakob Teply broke up the shutout bid at the 3:19 mark of the frame. He snapped a shot past Beaver for his third goal of the year. Ryan Leonard had an assist on the goal.
- Buzoverya rounded out the scoring with his fifth goal of the season. His tally was assisted by Tanner Hartman and Ignat Belov.
Hobart will be back in action this weekend, Feb. 9-10, when it welcomes Vermont State Castleton and Skidmore to The Cooler. The games will coincide with the Statesmen’s alumni weekend.