Skip to content
DiSanto Propane (Banner)
Home » Ontario County » Clifton Springs » Electrical issue sparks fire at Clifton Springs apartment building

Electrical issue sparks fire at Clifton Springs apartment building

A routine activity turned hazardous in the Village of Clifton Springs, where a light bulb change led to a fire emergency. The Ontario County 911 Center received a distress call on January 28 about a structure fire. Ontario County Sheriff’s Deputies, alongside a New York State Trooper, rushed to the scene at an apartment building.


Upon arrival, officials discovered a smoldering section of the ceiling near a light in Apartment 6. The Clifton Springs and Phelps Fire Departments were prompt in their response, efficiently removing the burning ceiling fragments. The fire’s cause was traced back to an exposed wire in the electrical housing of the ceiling light. This conclusion came after the resident revealed that he and his son had replaced a light bulb in the living room just half an hour before the incident.

DeCook suggested that the movement of the light socket while changing the bulb likely caused an electrical arc. Authorities have ruled out any foul play in this fire incident.