The William Smith College ice hockey team was defeated by Elmira College, which was receiving votes in the USCHO.com poll, 3-0 in a New England College Hockey Conference contest at The Cooler this evening. The Herons are now 14-5-1 overall this season with a 9-3-1 record in NEHC play.
Senior goalie Annie Hauser played all 60 minutes in goal, finishing the game with 35 saves.
Piper Andrews led the way for Elmira (13-6-1, 10-2-1). She had a goal and an assist in the win. Leonie Kuehberger played all 60 minutes in goal and made 16 saves as she earned the shutout.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Elmira finished the game with a 38-16 advantage in shots on goal.
- Neither team scored on the power play. William Smith was 0-for-2 and the Soaring Eagles were 0-for-1.
- The Herons have gone 12 straight games without allowing a power-play goal.
- Elmira opened the scoring at the 13:17 mark of the first period. Andrews picked up a rebound in the slot and flipped a shot past Hauser for her fifth goal of the season.
- Sabrina Shvartsman extended the Soaring Eagles lead to two goals with her fifth goal of the season. She collected a pass from Andrews on the left post and slipped a shot over the goal line. Payton Nicksic also had an assist on the goal.
- Ten minutes later Erika Goleniak rounded out the scoring with her 10th goal of the season. She ripped a wrist shot from the slot over Hauser’s blocker pad. Claire Meeder had the assist on the goal.
William Smith and Elmira will make the trip down Seneca Lake tomorrow, Jan. 26, to conclude the season series. Faceoff at the Murray Athletic Center is scheduled for 4 p.m.