Junior Aidan Rodgers led four Statesmen in double figures, but the Hobart College basketball team couldn’t slow down hot-shooting Ithaca College. The Bombers shot a season-high from the field, 3-point range and the free throw line on the way to a 102-77 Liberty League win.
Rodgers was a perfect 6-for-6 at the free throw line and added team-highs with five rebounds and five assists. Senior Isaiah Washington and junior Pat Healyeach contributed 13 points. Washington shot a team best 5-of-9 from the floor, while Healy knocked down three 3-pointers. Junior Carter Meshanic added 11 points and five boards.
Ithaca also had four players in double figures. Logan Wendell led the way with 27 points. Andrew Geschickter added 19 points, including five 3-pointers. Evan Cabral and Triston Wennersten chipped in 14 points and 11 points, respectively.
- Ithaca enjoyed its best shooting game of the season, connecting on 57.4% from the field, 51.7% from deep and 90% at the line.
- Both teams grabbed 36 rebounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Ithaca scored the first six points of the game and never trailed.
- The Bombers led by as many as 19 in the first half, but Hobart used a 7-0 run that trimmed the home team lead to 11 late in the frame.
- Geschickter hit a 3-pointer just ahead of the buzzer to send his team into the break with a 45-31 lead.
- The Statesmen made a 14-2 run early in the second half that cut their deficit to eight. Healy accounted for the final five points of the run.
- That was as close as Hobart would get in the second half.
- A traditional 3-point play by Wendell swung the momentum back to Ithaca and kicked off a 7-2 Ithaca run.
FOR THE RECORD
- The Statesmen suffered just their second loss of the season, slipping to 10-2 overall. Hobart is 3-2 in the Liberty League.
- The Bombers won their fourth straight to improve to 8-3, 3-1.
- Hobart will return to Bristol Gym for the first time in over three weeks. The Statesmen will host Bard (8-4, 3-2) at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Jan. 12.