William Smith College senior Mackenzie O’Neil scored and junior Erin Murray stopped all 27 shots she faced as the Herons defeated Plymouth State University 1-0 in a New England Hockey Conference Contest at The Cooler this evening. With their ninth straight win, the Herons are 11-3-0 overall on the year with a 6-1-0 record in conference play.
Seniors Alex George and Emma Faso also registered a point in the victory. Today’s game was Murray’s second shutout of the season.
Amelia Julian played 59 minutes in goal for the Panthers (3-8-0, 3-5-0). She made 40 saves. It was the third time this season that Julian made 40 or more saves in a game.
- William Smith finished the game with a 41-27 advantage in shots on goal.
- Neither team scored a power-play goal. The Herons were 0-for-2 with the extra attacker and Plymouth State was 0-for-3 on the power play.
- William Smith is now 4-0-0 all-time against the Panthers.
- After a scoreless first period, O’Neil scored the game’s lone goal at the 5:48 mark of the second period. She picked up a rebound in the slot and wristed a shot just under the crossbar for her seventh goal of the season. George and Faso registered assists on the goal.
- The Herons had chances to extend their lead, but Julian was up to the task, making several key stops.
- Early in the third period, Sydney Foster had a pair of shots from the low slot turned aside by the Plymouth State goalie. Allie Cimis and Laine Heiser had a pair of shots stopped by Julian’s glove.
- The Panthers had their chances in the game, but could not sneak a shot past Murray.
- In the first period, Carsen Moffett had a chance from the low slot robbed by the glove of Murray.
- With eight minutes remaining in the middle stanza, Mia Zaniboni had a slap shot stopped by Murray’s leg pad. Katie Porrello’s rebound attempt was also smothered by Murray.
William Smith will be back in action tomorrow, Jan. 6, when it welcomes Vermont State Castleton to The Cooler. Faceoff is scheduled for 4 p.m.