The top-ranked Hobart College hockey team defeated 10th-ranked Skidmore College 5-3 in a New England Hockey Conference contest at the Saratoga City Rink this evening. With their eighth straight win, the Statesmen are now 12-2-0 on the season with a 6-1-0 mark in conference play.
First-year Bauer Morrissey (1g, 1a) and sophomore Tanner Hartman (2a) had multi-point games for the Statesmen. Sophomore Damon Beaver played all 60 minutes in goal and made 21 saves.
Stephen Perez had a goal and an assist to lead the way for the Thoroughbreds (9-2-2, 5-1-1). Blaine Moore made his first start of the season and made 29 saves in just over 58 minutes of work in the Skidmore goal
- The Statesmen have now gone 14 straight games to start the year without allowing a power-play goal. With today’s 4-for-4 effort on the penalty kill, Hobart has killed off all 40 of its opponents’ power-play opportunities this season.
- Hobart finished the game with a 34-24 advantage in shots on goal.
- The Statesmen were 2-for-3 on the power play and Skidmore was 0-for-4 with the man advantage.
- Hartman has five multi-point games in his last six games. He has recorded 18 points (7g 11a) during that stretch.
- Skidmore opened the scoring at the 3:18 mark of the first period. Jacob Franczak redirected a shot from Jack Strauss past Beaver for his fourth goal of the season.
- Three minutes later, Hobart took the lead with a pair of power-play goals 38 seconds apart. First-year Brandon Sacchetti’s fourth goal of the season tied the game at one. He fired a shot from the left faceoff circle past Moore. His classmates, Conor Lally and Morrissey were awarded assists on the goal.
- Sophomore Tanner Daniels gave Hobart the lead with his third goal of the year. He one-timed a shot from the slot across the goal line. Senior Kevin Lassman notched an assist on the goal.
- Morrissey gave Hobart a 3-1 lead at the 14:48 mark of the opening frame. His third goal of the season was an unassisted goal.
- Skidmore scored the game’s next two goals to make it 3-3 just beyond the midway point of the second period. Connor Wood started the comeback attempt with his second goal of the season. He redirected a Stephen Perez shot past Beaver. Everett Wardle also had an assist on the goal.
- At the 11:17 mark of the second period, Perez blasted a slapshot across the goal line. His first collegiate goal was assisted by Nick Cozzi and Mason Beecher.
- Senior Artem Buzoverya gave Hobart a 4-3 lead at the 14:14 mark of the middle stanza. His third goal of the season was assisted by sophomore Tanner Hartman and first-year Chris Duclair.
- Junior Luke Aquaro rounded out the scoring with an empty-net goal with just over a minute remaining in the game. Hartman notched an assist on the goal. It was Aquaro’s eighth goal of the season.
Hobart will be back in action tomorrow, Jan. 6, when it heads to Rutland, Vermont, to take on Vermont State University Castleton. Faceoff at Spartan Arena is scheduled for 4 p.m.