The William Smith College ice hockey team defeated Johnson and Wales University 4-1 in a New England Hockey Conference contest at the New England Sports Village this afternoon. With their seventh straight win, the Herons are now 9-3-0 on the season with a 5-1-0 mark in NEHC play.
Emma Faso and Brianna Felice both had two goals in the victory. Colleen Quirk and Sarah Hearns had two assists each. Annie Hauser started in goal and stopped 24 of the 25 shots she faced as she notched her fourth win of the season.
Brynn Leahy scored for the Wildcats 1-10-0, 1-7-0. Lauren Powers played all 60 minutes in goal for Johnson and Wales. She made 33 saves.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- William Smith finished the game with a 37-25 edge in shots on goal.
- Both teams were 0-for-2 on the power play.
- Faso opened the scoring 35 seconds into the game. She snapped a shot from the right faceoff circle past Powers for her third goal of the season. Elizabeth MacMurray and Fiona Gallagher were awarded assists on the goal.
- Three minutes later, Leahy tied the game with her first goal of the season. She one-timed a shot from the low slot past Hauser. Anna Luecht and Hannah Tsouvalas had assists on the goal.
- The Herons regained the lead at the 11:36 mark of the opening frame. Felice picked up a loose puck in front of the cage and slipped a shot across the goal line. Quirk and Hearns had assists on the tally. It was Felice’s first goal of the season.
- Felice doubled her tally at the 7:21 mark of the third period. She collected a rebound and snapped a shot past Powers. Her second goal of the year was assisted by Quirk and Hearns.
- Faso rounded out the scoring at the 11:06 mark of the third period. She flipped a shot from the top of the left faceoff circle past Powers. Her fourth goal of the season was assisted by Allie Cimis.
William Smith will be back in action on Saturday, Dec. 9, when it wraps up the 2023 portion of its schedule. The Herons will take on Buffalo State at The Cooler. Faceoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.