The second-ranked Hobart College hockey team scored two goals in each period as it raced past UMass Boston 6-1 in a New England Hockey Conference contest at The Cooler this evening. With the win, the Statesmen are now 8-2-0 on the season with a 5-1-0 mark in conference play.
Sophomore Tanner Hartman led the way for Hobart with a goal and four assists. Sophomore Ignat Belov had a goal and two assists. Sophomore Damon Beaver played all 60 minutes in goal making 22 saves.
Conor Foley socred for UMass Boston (4-6-1, 3-4-0). Sam Best played all 60 minutes in goal for UMass Boston. He made 49 saves.
- Hobart extended its winning streak in Geneva to 26 games. It is the longest active home winning streak in the nation.
- The Statesmen have killed off 29 straight penalties to start the year. They are the only team to have not allowed a power-play goal.
- Beaver had his shutout streak snapped at 266:59 minutes. It was the longest shutout streak in program history.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Hobart finished today’s game with a 55-23 advantage in shots on goal.
- In addition to Best’s 49 saves, UMass Boston blocked an additional 14 shots.
- Hobart was 2-for-6 on the power play while the Beacons were 0-for-3 with the man advantage.
- Hobart opened the scoring at the 4:54 mark of the first period. Artem Buzoverya picked up a loose puck in the slot and slipped a shot past Best for his second goal of the season. Belov and Hartman were awarded assists on the power-play goal.
- Just over four minutes later, Hartman pocketed his sixth goal of the season flipping a shot off the goalie’s back and across the goal line. Belov and Lassman were awarded assists on the goal.
- Belov extended the lead to three goals just under five minutes into the second period. She poked home a loose puck for his fifth goal of the season. Buzoverya and Hartman had assists on the goal.
- At the 7:48 mark of the middle frame, Foley broke up the shutout bid with his second goal of the season. He picked up a rebound and knocked the puck across the goal line. Jazz Krivtsov and Jude Kurtas had assists on the goal.
- Twenty-eight seconds later, Luke Aquaro notched his seventh goal of the season. He deked around Best and slipped a shot past his outstretched pad. Tanner Daniels and Hartman notched assists on the tally.
- Cooper Swift gave Hobart a 5-1 lead with his first goal of the season. He blasted a slap shot through traffic and past Best. Matthew Perryman and Hartman had assists on the goal.
- Tristan Fasig rounded out the scoring with 29 seconds remaining in regulation. He slapped a pass from Jonah Alexander past Best for his second goal of the season.
Hobart will be back in action tomorrow, Dec. 2, when it welcomes Johnson and Wales to The Cooler. Faceoff is scheduled for 4 p.m.