The Hobart College basketball team rallied from an 11-point second-half deficit to defeat the University of Rochester 78-70 in the Louis Alexander Palestra tonight. It’s the first time the Statesmen have won on the Yellowjackets’ home floor since Dec. 10, 2014.
Junior Aidan Rodgers poured in a game and season-high 20 points to go with a team-high five assists and a game-high five steals for Hobart. For the second time in as many games, junior Carter Meshanic contributed a double-double, logging 18 points and a game-high 14 rebounds. Junior Pat Healy and sophomore Gabriel Bergeron each chipped in nine points.
Rochester put three players in double digits led by Matt Niemczura’s 13 points. Logan Jagodzinski and Tomiwa Adetosoye logged 12 points apiece.
“It was a resilient win tonight for our team heading into the Thanksgiving break. Credit to Rochester for having us on the ropes. Our group’s ability to stay united and find ways to take control of the game was nice to see. Aidan and Carter really played like upperclassmen plus having Gabe step up helped us a lot.”
— Hobart Head Coach Stefan Thompson ’13
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Hobart struggled to put down its shots from the floor in the first half, shooting just 26.9% in the opening 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, Rochester shot 40.6% in the first half and carried a 35-30 lead into halftime.
- The Yellowjackets lead could have been larger, if not for the Statesmen’s ability to get to the free throw line. Hobart shot 13-of-16 from the charity stripe.
- Healy scored all nine of his points before the break, while Jagodzinski posted 10 of his 12 in the first half.
- Rochester scored the first three baskets of the second half to build its largest lead of the game, 41-30.
- The Statesmen kept the game from getting out of hand by answering with a 9-0 run that cut the deficit to just two.
- After the Yellowjackets scored back-to-back buckets to go up six, Hobart seized the lead with 11 straight points, including seven from Meshanic, for a 50-45 lead for the visitors.
- Another 9-0 late in the half gave the Statesmen their largest lead of the game, 66-53, with under five minutes to go.
- Rochester got within four on a traditional 3-point play by Adetosoye with 27 seconds remaining, but Hobart sealed its victory by going 4-for-4 at the free throw line.
- For the fourth time in as many games this season, Hobart made more free throws than its opponent attempted. The Statesmen went 26-of-32 at the line, while UR was 13-of-20.
- Rochester (2-3) had a slim 21-20 rebounding edge in the first half, but Hobart took over after the break, outrebounding the Yellowjackets 24-17. Meshanic pulled down 11 of his 14 caroms in the second half.
- Hobart improved to 4-0 for the first time since starting the 2011-12 season with six straight wins.
ON THE HORIZON
- The Statesmen will take the next 10 days to prepare for their Liberty League opener, Dec. 1 at Union. Tipoff against the Garnet Chargers is set for 7:30 p.m.