The William Smith College basketball team fell in a 61-56 thriller to Fredonia this evening to open up the 58 Main Classic in Jim and John Vlogianitis Gymnasium on the campus of SUNY Brockport. The Herons fall to 0-2 on the season while the Blue Devils move to 3-0.
Senior Brooke Jarvis led William Smith with 18 points and 14 rebounds for her first double-double of the season. Jarvis added two assists, two steals and one block in the loss. First-year Amelia McCulley dropped a career-high 14 points shooting 62.5% from the floor in her second collegiate showing.
- Rebounds: William Smith 43, Fredonia 43
- Assists: Fredonia 14, William Smith 10
- Turnovers: William Smith 21, Fredonia 16
- Steals: Fredonia 11, William Smith 4
- Blocked Shots: Fredonia 2, William Smith 2
HERON STAT LEADERS
- Scoring: Brooke Jarvis 18, Amelia McCulley 14, Kerstin Kelly 7
- Rebounding: Brooke Jarvis 14, Maddie Patrick 6, Kerstin Kelly 4, Mara Bledsoe 4, Amelia McCulley 4
- Assists: Brooke Jarvis 2, Kerstin Kelly 1, Molly Walsh 1, Maddie Patrick 1, Mckenzie Mandyck 1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Fredonia came out on fire and took an early 13-3 lead before senior Fiona Horan converted a free throw shot followed by a deep jumper to cut the deficit to seven.
- In the final three minutes of the opening quarter William Smith went on an 8-2 run to bring the Herons within four heading into the second quarter.
- The Herons and the Blue Devils traded points to start the second quarter until William Smith caught the hot hand with under three minutes remaining in the half. Amelia McCulley and Brooke Jarvis combined for seven straight points to grab its first lead of the game heading into halftime.
- Maddie Patrick opened the second half with a layup to build on the Herons lead before Fredonia responded with a run to grab the lead back. First-year Miranda Martin sunk a deep three pointer to tie the game back up at 36-36.
- The Blue Devils found sharp shooting from Kyla Smith to grab momentum late in the third with the game still in reach for both sides.
- Fredonia built on the momentum in the fourth, opening the final quarter on a 9-5 run behind strong shooting from the free throw line.
- William Smith fought back with a 6-0 run behind points from Jarvis and McCulley to grab back a one-point lead with four minutes remaining.
- After strong defensive performances by both sides the Blue Devils found the late momentum push going on an 8-0 run to close out the contest on top.
William Smith will be back in action on Saturday, Nov. 18, when it closes out 58 Main Classic action against host SUNY Brockport. Action between the Herons and the Golden Eagles is set to begin at 3 p.m. in Jim and John Vlogianitis Gymnasium.